eternize: pokemon (Default)
krissie。 ([personal profile] eternize) wrote2010-09-29 07:22 pm

290910

Maths. Functions. Stupidest things ever.



a) and b) are relatively easy and i get it, but... c) and d) are hard. :|


Consider g(x)=x^2, and the transformed function y=-3g(x-2)+1:
- A point on the graph of g is (4, 16), what is the corresponding point on the transformed function?
- List the transformations in the sequence that you would apply to the graph of y=g(x) to graph y=-3g(x-2)+1.
- State the domain and range of the transformed function. Justify your answer.


Also if someone care to explain domain and range to me... Like, i get what it is, but when writing it...
What is the... 'x|x' supposed to mean? I just noticed this but my teacher taught us how to write it differently. @_@
(And if you would please do that question too...)

Transformation questions are the stupidest things ever.

Sairei, here.

(Anonymous) 2010-09-30 02:29 am (UTC)(link)
I'll be honest right now and say I have never seen this in my life. Functions yeah, but not something like this. I have no experience with functions on steroids. ;; But I do understand the basics enough to help you, I just need to google this stuff real quick to learn.

At the moment, I can explain how to write domain and range. Let's use the a, b, c, and d problems from above for example.

Image (http://s876.photobucket.com/albums/ab321/herpderpshooter/?action=view&current=domain.jpg)

Domain is the distance of your x... thing. lol you know what I mean. Anyway, see how x goes on forever on both ends, in all of these? To write this, you could express it as:

x = all real numbers
or
x = (-∞, ∞), negative and positive infinity

I find it easier to think of when you mark on your graphs where x begins and ends. That way, you can easily see what your domain is. The same applies to range.

Image (http://s876.photobucket.com/albums/ab321/herpderpshooter/?action=view&current=range-1.jpg)

a) Your range is highest at y = ∞, and lowest at y = -2. Your range would be written as y = (-2, ∞), or y = all real numbers > -2.

b) y = (-2, ∞), or y = all real numbers > -2.

c) y = (1/2, ∞), or y = all real numbers > (1/2)

d) y = (-4.5, ∞), or y = all real numbers > -4.5

Any questions?

And I'll hazard a guess at the answers for c and d, going off of what you wrote for a.

c) y = f(x+1)-3
d) y = f(x-4.5) <----- not really sure about this one ;;

That's all for now, let me check out google for you to understand the rest.

Re: Sairei, here.

(Anonymous) 2010-09-30 02:34 am (UTC)(link)
Oh fuu... just a moment, let me take back what I said about domain and range. FORGET IT OKAY? ummm let's take problem A for example:

(I think it should go like this)

y = (-2, 3), (-2, ∞)
Do you see what I mean? You have two ranges, yes? You have one that goes from (-2, 3) twice, but I don't think you have to write it twice. Then your other range is from -2 to positive infinity.

b) y = (-2, ∞), (-2, 3)

And so on. Do this with domain, too!

I'm so sorry for the confusion.